Activities: What to do on a day out in London?

Activities: What to do on a day out in London?

Katie has long been obsessed with Topsy and Tim. Not just the annoying CBeebies version either. But all the books too. So naturally, when I mentioned that we were going near London, Katie reeled off a whole itinerary of things she wanted to do there. All gleamed from Topsy and Tim Visit London.

Which would be fine – except weren’t originally planning on going to London! However, given we’re in travelling distance it is possible to do for a day trip. Which creates a problem… which of the following activities are actually do-able in a day?

• Ride on a big red London bus.
  • Visit the Tower of London.
  • Go on a London Underground Train.
  • See the changing of the guards at Horse Guards Parade.
  • Go up the River Thames in a boat.
  • Race about at Kew Gardens.
  • See dinosaurs at the Natural History Museum.
  • Play at Diana’s Playground in Kensington Gardens.
  • Find a golden statue that’s actually a man.

Finding a cat called Boris would add bonus points to any visit with Katie’s number one demand being Diana’s playground.  But anyone who knows London who could work out a do-able day long itinerary involving any number of these activities gets to be the winner.   Anyone?!

PS. Original illustration is of course by Alison Soye – who continues to be beautiful and talented so be sure to check out her work!

Share:

9 Comments

1. July 21, 2017 / 12:34 pm

Ahhh what an exciting day – I would be tempted to suggest going to either Southbank or Covent Garden for the gold statue that’s really a man. If you went to Southbank, they have the river thames ferries there and you can get a ticket to ride them, just like you would a bus. I can also vouch for Diana’s playground, it’s absolutely lovely and well worth a visit, she’ll love it there. It’s in Kensington Palace Gardens so I’d probably ignore Kew Gardens and race around KP Gardens instead – there’s a lovely new bit that’s very peaceful and then just acres of park space! Let us know how you get on!

• July 21, 2017 / 10:01 pm

I think a boat ride and then just the playground would be an amazing day. Good shout with the gardens. I think we may just meet friends at Kew Gardens on a separate day!

2. July 21, 2017 / 5:44 pm

Cor you’re going to struggle to do it all!! But I’m sure getting between some can see the transport options being ticked off. I’m not great with London or the geography though so I can’t be much help. Have fun!

• July 21, 2017 / 10:00 pm

I don’t think we’ll get it all done in one day. Knowing my kids we’d get to the playground and not leave! Haha.

3. July 22, 2017 / 5:30 pm

I really can’t wait to go back to London and do all these things. I managed to go shopping on Oxford street and see Hyde park when there for winter wonderland but I wanted to do so much more like see the tower of London and ride one of the red busses.

Jordanne || Thelifeofaglasgowgirl.co.uk

4. July 22, 2017 / 6:47 pm

You definitely have your work cut out there to get all of that in one day. We went with what I thought was a realistic itinerary but only managed to get half done. Great day out though.
    (Hubby helping out)

5. July 22, 2017 / 6:58 pm

If you do venture to Kew Gardens then Richmond is definitely worth a visit too. It’s a great list though probably needs a few days 😆

6. July 23, 2017 / 4:27 am

I reckon London is best enjoyed when you haven’t got too much planned. Definitely have to do the Natural History Museum tho!